So have you been wondering what to do with those fabulous oven-roasted tomatoes? Yes, you can eat them straight off the cookie sheet, before they even cool down. You can sneak into the kitchen in the middle of the night to eat more, but sooner or later, it’s time to actually USE them in recipes. This was my first experiment and it utilized as many different veggies as I had in the house. It was just delish!
Roasted Tomato Potato Summer Vegetable Soup
1. Cook six medium-sized, red-skinned potatoes until fork-tender.
2. Finely chop and saute:
- 2 medium onions
- 2 T. minced garlic
- 3 stalks of celery
- 4 medium carrots
3. Puree’ 3 c. oven-roasted tomatoes.
4. Puree’ the cooked potatoes along with 1/2 c. cream. Add up to 3 c. water or stock to provide the liquid needed to puree’ the potatoes.
5. Combine all these ingredients in a large stock pot and simmer for about 30 minutes. Salt and pepper to taste.
6. Coarsely chop 1/2 c. fresh basil leaves and stir in right before serving.
Serve with some feta crumbles and garnish with a spring of fresh basil.
This soup played well for leftovers for several days after we had it the first time. EVERYONE loved it!